The Dyson V series is one of the most recognizable and highest performing cordless stick vacuum series. Despite having a lightweight and compact build, these vacuums have powerful digital motors that enable deep cleaning around the home, not just confined to the floor. In this article, we will compare the two models at the top of the V Series range, the Dyson V10 vs V11. Looking at the key features and where each model stands out, this article will provide you with a solid understanding so you can decide whether the extra price of the V11 is worth it.
|Model||Dyson V10||Dyson V11|
|Dimensions||49.2 x 9.8 x 10.1 inches||50.6 x 9.8 x 10.2 inches|
|Weight||5.9 lbs||6.68 lbs|
7.85 lbs (Outsize Version)
|Motor||V10||V11 (22.5% stronger than V10)|
220 (Outsize Version)
|Battery Life||60 Minutes||60 Minutes|
120 Minutes (Outsize Version)
|Charge Time||3.5 Hours||4.5 Hours|
|Multiple Power Modes||✔||✔|
|2 Tier Radial |
|Availability||Check Price||Check Price|
The Dyson V10 is a cordless stick vacuum that has previously been labeled “The Upright Vacuum Killer”, due to carrying the full suction power of a corded vacuum. Dysons digital motor V10 spings up to 125,000 times per minute and has enabled this slimline model to achieve such power. Compared to the previous Dyson V series model, the V10 can clean for a full 60 minutes, pushing the boundaries and addressing the limited battery life issues of the V6, V7, and V8. The patented cyclone technology (HEPA filter) can capture small particles down to 0.3 microns, leaving no finer particles missed.
The Dyson V10 comes available in a few different versions which are concerned with the cleaning head; the Absolute, Animal and Motorhead. Coming with both the Torque Drive and Fluffy head, the Absolute is the most rounded for deep cleaning around the home. The Dyson Animal comes with the Torque driving head and is targetted for those people who have pets. We have compared the Dyson V10 Absolute vs Animal in more detail in another article. Finally, the Motorhead comes with the Direct Drive cleaning head only. Here is a summary of what each of the heads is for:
- Torque Drive: Designed for all floor types, best on carpets.
- Fluffy Head: Designed for hard floors.
- Direct Drive: Designed for carpets.
Related V10 articles:
Released in early 2019, the Dyson V11 took the V10s spot at the top of the Dyson V series. The V11 is a very similar cordless vacuum to the V10 when it comes to the design and its features. Included examples in this are the shared dustbin size, the HEPA filter that captures particles down to 0.3 microns and a digital motor that spins up to 125,000 times a minute. The V11 also has around 60 minutes of battery life, the same as the V10. The Dyson V11 does have a more powerful motor, 185 air watts compared to the 151 air watts of the V10, making it about 22.5% stronger. This will inevitably mean it will outperform the V10 in some scenarios and in general be more thorough. The Dyson V11 comes in two models; the Torque Drive and Animal, which is different from the product package release in the V10 (Absolute, Animal, and Motorhead).
One of the main upgrades the Dyson V11 has is a digital screen that is visible on the back of the motor. On the Torque Drive model, it displays the chose cleaning mode, remaining battery life, as well as brief videos that display how to maintain the V11. On the V11 Animal digital motor, it shows all of these except the videos. Another unique feature of the Dyson V11 is the Intelligent Suction feature. Based on what you are cleaning, the Dyson V11 will adjust the suction power to an amount that will clean it in order to optimize the battery life.
There is now a new Dyson V11 Outsize model which has made some improvements, takin this vacuum to another level. This includes 220 airwatts of suction power, a 1.89 litre dustbin, and an extra-large Torque Drive cleaning head for quicker cleaning. We compare all versions in more detail here: Dyson V11 Torque Drive vs Animal vs Outsize.
Related Dyson V11 articles:
Dyson V10 vs V11 Differences
In this section, we will overview the main differences between these two top-end cordless stick vacuums. The main differences are as follows:
- Suction Power and Motor Strength: The digital motor of the Dyson V11 is 185 air watts (220 with Outsize version), compared to the maximum strength of the V10 which is 151 air watts. Therefore, the Dyson V11 is capable of higher suction and therefore will be more effective in harder to clean situations. This makes the Dyson V11 one of the most powerful cordless vacuums available.
- Intelligent Suction: In addition to having a more powerful motor, the Dyson V11 has an Intelligent Suction feature which enables it to adjust the suction power depending on the surface being cleaned. For example, hard floors generally need less suction power and as a result, the Dyson V11 will lower its suction power to optimize energy use.
- Digital Screen on Motor: On the back of the Dyson V11 digital motor is a screen that is not on the Dyson V10 motor. This screen has a few purposes, including displaying which Cleaning Mode is on, the battery life left and maintenance videos. It should be noted that the Dyson V11 Animal model does have a digital screen but does not display any videos.
- Soft Roller Clean Head: The Dyson V10 Absolute model comes with multiple cleaning heads, including the Fluffy Cleaning head. This head is designed for and improves performance on hard floors. However, the Dyson V11 does not include this cleaning head.
- Charge Time: The Dyson V11 has a typical charge time of 4.5 hours whilst the Dyson V10 charges in a slightly shorter 3.5 hours.
- Price: The Dyson V11 is a newer and more advanced model and is, therefore, more expensive than the V10.
Dyson V10 vs V11 Similarities
In this section, we will outline the main similarities between these two cordless vacuums of which there are many.
- Dimensions and Weight: The Dyson V10 and V11 are pretty indistinguishable when it comes to their dimensions and weight. The V10 is 49.2 x 9.8 x 10.1 inches, whilst the V11 is 50.6 x 9.8 x 10.2 inches. The Dyson V10 weighs 5.9lbs and V11 6.68 lbs. This makes them equally capable of being able to clean areas of different heights.
- Battery Life: Each of these models typically last for 60 minutes, although the Dyson V11s battery life will be more variable due to Intelligent Suction varying its energy usage. The Outsize version has a longer battery of life of 120 minutes as it comes with two batteries. Both model’s battery life will also vary depending on which mode is being used. Boost mode will drain the battery much faster than Eco.
- Multiple Power Modes: Both the Dyson V10 and V11 have multiple power modes which are Eco, Auto, and Boost.
- One-Click Bin Emptying: A single click of a button will unlatch the bin and empty all the dirt inside.
- HEPA Filter: Dysons patented HEPA filter captures particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- Accessories: Both the Dyson V10 and V11 come with many accessories which include the following;
- Wall Mount
- Combination Tool
- Crevice Tool
- Mini-motorized tool
The Dyson V10 and V11 are two of the best cordless stick vacuums, if not the best. Buying the Dyson V11 over the V10 has a few neat benefits, mostly the extra suction power. However, in practice it may not make a difference, it all depends on how difficult to vacuum your surfaces are. Those with more carpets should consider the V11 especially if they have a larger budget. Beyond that, the other two major differences are the digital screen, which is certainly useful but not essential and Intelligent Suction. The latter is useful for maximizing battery life, but admittedly performance-wise it won’t make a difference.