The Dyson V7 and V11 are at each end of the V Series when it comes to price, technology, and features. Most recently released is the V11, which is perhaps the best cordless stick vacuum that is available on the market today. James Dyson proclaimed his V Series cordless stick vacuums the “killer of upright vacuums” and he certainly does have a point. This article will compare the Dyson V7 vs V11 by explaining their key features, differences, and similarities and how they weigh up against each other.
Related Articles to check out:
- Dyson V7 vs V8: Cordless stick vacuum comparison
- Dyson V8 vs V11: Cordless stick vacuum comparison
- Dyson V8 vs V10: What are the differences?
|Model||Dyson V7||Dyson V11|
|Dimensions||49 x 9.8 x 8.2 inches||50.6 x 9.8 x 10.2 inches|
|Weight||5.45 lbs||6.68 lbs|
7.85 lbs (Outsize Version)
220 (Outsize Version)
|HEPA Filter||HEPA version|
|Battery Life||30 Minutes||60 Minutes|
120 Minutes (Outsize Version)
|Charge Time||3.5 Hours||4.5 Hours|
1.89 (Outsize Version)
|Multiple Power Modes||✔||✔|
|One-Click Bin Emptying||✔||✔|
|2 Tier Radial Cyclones||✔||✔|
|Availability||Check Price||Check Price|
The Dyson V7 was released in 2017 to fill in the gap between V6 and V8 in the V series. The V7 is now the budget option of the series due to the Dyson V6 being discontinued. Although it has been around for a few years and is the cheapest option, the V7 is still a high-performance cordless stick vacuum. With the V7 digital motor spinning up to 110,000 a minute and generating 100 airwatts of power, the vacuum performs well on hard floors and carpets. The battery will run for up to 30 minutes depending on whether you use the Max or Powerful mode. It will then charge in around 3 and a half hours.
A defining characteristic of the V7 which makes it an “upright vacuum killer”, is the very lightweight yet long design. This allows it to be highly maneuverable and reach different cleaning spots, including elevated ones such as ceiling corners. The Dyson V7 comes available in a few different versions which vary based on the included cleaning heads, accessories, and tools that are sold with it. At the core of the product is the same Dyson V7 vacuum. The four versions are the Absolute, Animal (designed for homes with pets), Motorhead and HEPA. Here is what each version comes with:
- Absolute: Direct Drive cleaning head, Fluffy cleaning head, Mini dusting brush, and Mini motorize brush roll.
- Animal: Direct Drive cleaning head, HEPA filter, Mini dusting brush, and Mini motorize brush roll. This version was designed for homes with pets.
- Motorhead: Direct Drive cleaning head.
- HEPA: Direct Drive cleaning head and HEPA.
Related article: Dyson V7 Absolute vs Animal vs Motorhead vs HEPA
Related Article: Comparison of Dyson V7 vs V10
The Dyson V11 is the newest, most advanced and top of the line product in the V series. It is, in fact, one of the best if not the best cordless stick vacuums o the market. With 125,000 revolutions a minute and a maximum of 185 air watts, the V11 is significantly more powerful than the V7. At maximum output the suction will be 85% greater than the V7, making this vacuum more effective on harder cleaning tasks such as carpets. There are three cleaning modes instead of two, which are Eco, Auto, and Boost. The battery can last for a maximum of 60 minutes which is twice as long as the V7. As a result of this, the charging time is a little longer at four and a half hours.
The Dyson V11 has a couple of unique features that make it more advanced and intelligent than the other V models. First is the digital screen on the motor which displays certain information such as the cleaning mode being used, battery life left and various videos on how to maintain the vacuum. Next is Intelligent Suction, a technology by Dyson which adjusts the suction power being used depending on what it is cleaning. For example, an easier surface with less dirt will use less suctions. This optimizes the battery life and allows cleaning fora a longer duration.
The dustbin is 0.76 litres which are almost twice the size of the V7, meaning there is less frequent maintenance and emptying required. The V11 comes available in two versions; the Torque Drive and Animal. There is no HEPA version as every V11 model has a HEPA filter that can capture particles down to 0.3 microns.
There is now a new Dyson V11 Outsize model which has made some improvements, takin this vacuum to another level. This includes 220 airwatts of suction power, 120 minutes battery life, a 1.89 litre dustbin, and an extra-large Torque Drive cleaning head for quicker cleaning. We compare all versions in more detail here: Dyson V11 Torque Drive vs Animal vs Outsize.
Related Article: Dyson V10 vs V11
Dyson V7 vs V11 Differences
- Digital Motor and Suction Power: The Dyson V11 is a much more powerful vacuum with a maximum output of 185 air watts (220 with Outsize version). This is 85% greater than the V7 which is just 100 air watts. On carpets and tougher to clean surfaces the V11 will outperform the V7. However, in the vast majority of cases, the V7 will be good enough.
- Intelligent Suction: A unique and advanced feature of the V11 is its ability to adjust suction power based on what is being cleaned. This optimizes energy usage so the battery can last longer.
- Digital Screen: Another unique feature of the V11 is the digital screen on the motor which displays information such as the cleaning mode being used, the battery life left and instructional maintenance videos.
- Battery Life & Charging Time: The V11 has a battery life of 60 minutes (120 with Outsize version) which is twice as long as the 30 minutes of the V7. It also takes longer to charge; 4.5 hours as opposed to 3.5 hours.
- Dustbin Size: The V11 has a much larger dustbin which 0.76 litres (1.89 with Outsize version), almost twice the size of the V7 which has 0.4 litres.
- HEPA Filter: All V11 models have a HEPA filter that can capture particles down to the size of 0.3 microns. Only the V7 Animal and HEPA version have this filter.
- Versions Available: The V7 has four versions; Absolute, Animal, Motorhead, and HEPA. The V11 has three versions; Torque Drive, Animal and Outsize. These versions vary in their included tools, accessories and cleaning heads.
- Price: The V11 is more expensive due to being a newer and more advanced cordless stick vacuum.
Dyson V7 vs V11 Similarities
- Dimensions & Weight: As with all of the V Series, the Dyson V7 and V11 have very similar dimensions and weight which makes them ergonomically similar in practical terms. The V7 is 49 x 9.8 x 8.2 inches and weighs 5.45 lbs whilst the V11 is 50.6 x 9.8 x 10.2 inches and 6.68 lbs.
- One-Click Bin Emptying: Both of these vacuums dustbins will empty with one click.
- Accessories: Both the Dyson V7 and V11 come with many accessories which include the following;
- Wall Mount
- Combination Tool
- Crevice Tool
- Mini-motorized Tool
The Dyson V11 is a considerably more advanced and powerful cordless vacuum than the V7. All the most fundamental features are superior such as the power of the motor and battery life. There is also the addition of new features that no other Dyson V series model has, such as the Intelligent Suction and Digital Screen. When it comes down to performance, the V11 will outperform the V7 in some instances but in the majority of cases, the V7 will do as solid of a job. Which you one you opt to go for will mostly be driven by your budget as the V11 is a fair bit more expensive.