Dyson is a leading manufacturer of all kinds of vacuums, but in particular, they shine in the cordless stick vacuum market. This is unsurprising as they pioneered this technology over 10 years ago and to this day still lead the way. This article will compare the Dyson V7 vs V10, two models at each end of the series. Since the Dyson V6 was discontinued, the V7 is now officially the budget option whilst the V10 is second best only to the V11.
|Model||Dyson V7||Dyson V10|
|Dimensions||49 x 9.8 x 8.2 inches||49.2 x 9.8 x 10.1 inches|
|Weight||5.45 lbs||5.9 lbs|
|HEPA Filter||HEPA version|
|Battery Life||30 Minutes||60 Minutes|
|Charge Time||3.5 Hours||3.5 Hours|
|Multiple Power Modes||✔||✔|
|One-Click Bin Emptying||✔||✔|
|2 Tier Radial Cyclones||✔||✔|
|Availability||Check Price||Check Price|
The Dyson V7 was released in 2017 to fill a gap in the V series between the V6 and V8. Now the V6 has been discontinued, the V7 is the lowest spec and the budget option of this product range. Nonetheless, this cordless stick vacuum is still very capable and effective at cleaning on both hard floors and carpets. The Dyson V7 digital motor spins up to 110,000 times a minute and generates a maximum of 100 air watts. There are two cleaning modes to select from on the V7 which Max and Powerful. The more conservative Powerful mode can last for up to 30 minutes before the battery life runs out whilst the more powerful Max mode will drain it faster.
A crucial element of the Dyson V7, as with all of the V series models, is the lightweight and ergonomic nature of the vacuum. This allows it to reach the hardest to clean places, especially elevated ones. The large variety of accessories also increases the versatility of the vacuum as different tools help it clean more effectively on different surfaces and in corners. The Dyson V7 is available in four different versions; the Absolute, Animal, Motorhead, and HEPA. Each version has the exact same vacuum, the V7, but with varying tools and cleaning heads. They share the same core accessories which are mentioned later in this article. Here are the differences between each version of the Dyson V7:
- Absolute: Direct Drive cleaning head, Fluffy cleaning head, Mini dusting brush, and Mini motorize brush roll.
- Animal: Direct Drive cleaning head, HEPA filter, Mini dusting brush, and Mini motorize brush roll. This version was designed for homes with pets.
- Motorhead: Direct Drive cleaning head.
- HEPA: Direct Drive cleaning head and HEPA.
Related article: Dyson V7 Absolute vs Animal vs Motorhead vs HEPA
Dyson V7 Articles:
- Dyson V6 vs V7: What are the upgrades?
- Dyson V7 vs V8: Cordless stick vacuum comparison
- Dyson V7 vs V11: Comparion Guide
The Dyson V10 is the second top cordless stick vacuum in the series, second behind the V11 only. When it comes down to the features, specifications, and performance, the V10 is a more complete and better model than the V7 as you would expect. The V10 digital motor spins up to 125,000 times a minute and achieves a maximum of 151 airwatts, 50 percent more than the V7. On more challenging surfaces such as thicker carpets, the V10 will be more thorough. Just because it can achieve 50 percent more power doesn’t mean that its performance is going to be that much better. It will just have an edge over the V7 in some situations. Another differences it that the V10 has three cleaning modes instead of 2:
- Suction Mode 1 for hard to reach areas
- Suction Mode 2 for everyday cleaning
- Boost mode for intense cleaning
The maximum battery life on the V10 is 40 minutes but this will be drained quicker if you are using Boost mode. Additionally, Dyson V10 is also highly ergonomic with dimensions and weight that are very similar to V7. Despite this, the V10 has a much larger dustbin with a capacity of 0.76 litres which is almost twice that of the V7 (0.4 litres). There are three versions of the Dyson V10 which vary depending on cleaning heads. These are the Animal, Absolute, and Motorhead. Unlike the V7, there is no HEPA version as all models have a HEPA filter built into them. This can catch particles down to the size of 0.3 microns. Here are the cleaning heads that are included with each model of the V10:
- Absolute: Torque Drive and Fluffy Head (best heads for both hardfloors and carpets).
- Animal: Torque Drive (designed for all floor types, but best on carpets.
- Motorhead: Direct Drive (designed for carpets).
Dyson V10 articles:
Dyson V7 vs V10 Differences
In this section we will summarize and overview the main differences between the Dyson V7 and V10:
- Suction Power and Motor Strength: The Dyson V10 is a much more powerful vacuum than the V7, with 151 air watts compared to 100 air watts. When put to the test the V10 will perform better on some harder to clean situations. However, in the vast majority of cleans, the V7 will do as good of a job as the V10.
- Battery Life: The Dyson V10 has 40 minutes of battery life which is 10 more minutes over the V7 which has 30 minutes. These batteries will drain quickly if you use a more powerful cleaning mode.
- Dustbin Size: The Dyson V10 has a much larger dustbin than the V7. This is 0.76 litres, almost twice the volume of the V7 which is 0.4 litres. Users with the V10 will have to empty their dustbin less frequently reducing maintenance time.
- Multiple Cleaning Modes: The Dyson V7 has two cleaning modes; Max and Powerful, whilst the V10 has three; Suction Mode 1, Suction Mode 2 and Boost Mode.
- HEPA Filter: Only the Dyson V7 Animal and HEPA versions come with a HEPA filter that can capture particles down to the size 0.3 microns. All Dyson V10 versions have an inbuilt HEPA filter.
- Versions Available: The Dyson V7 has four versions; Absolute, Animal, Motorhead, and HEPA. The V10 comes available as the Absolute, Animal and Motorhead. These vary in the cleaning heads that are sold with each version.
- Price: The Dyson V10 is a more advanced cordless vacuum and is, therefore, more expensive.
Dyson V7 vs V10 Similarities
In this section we will summarize the main similarities between the Dyson V7 and V10:
- Dimensions & Weight: The Dyson V7 measures 49 x 9.8 x 8.2 inches and weight 5.45 lbs, which is similar to the V10 measuring 49.2 x 9.8 x 10.1 inches and 5.9 lbs. This makes each of these cordless stick vacuums very capable at reaching harder to clean spots.
- Charge Time: Each vacuum takes around 3.5 hours to fully charge.
- One-Click Bin Emptying: Each vacuum can have its dustbin emptied with one click.
- Accessories: The V7 and V10 share many useful accessories which assist its cleaning:
- Wall Mount
- Combination Tool
- Crevice Tool
- Mini Motorized Tool
The Dyson V10 is undoubtedly more advanced and powerful than the V7. In some situations such as carpet cleaning and harder to clean dirt, the V10 will be more capable and take an edge over the V7. However, in the vast majority of cases, the V7 will be as good. If your home has lots of carpets and rugs you should consider the V10 but you wouldn’t be wrong to go with the V7 either.